Friday, December 9, 2011

Policewoman or Veterinary nurse?

I'm not that old but, everyone seems to know what they want to do...


Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who does things because everyone else does but, I know that these two jobs are the kind of thing I'd love to do from now till the end of my life.


They are unfortunately a little to different for me to choose my options and then when college comes make the decision then. So I wanted to see what people thought about the jobs? E.g. The money...|||I don't know much about being a policewoman or the process to become one, but I can tell you a little bit about veterinary technicians! Some veterinary clinics have volunteer programs where you can learn all about how a veterinary clinic operates. I just applied to volunteer at one the other day, and the person in charge told me that the volunteers would be shadowing the technicians and learning how to do stuff, learning about certain conditions, watching surgeries, etc. Try to see if you can find a place like that so you know how it works. Personally, I was a vet tech for a year at a small clinic. I had no experience, but they tried teaching me everything they could. The reason why I am about to volunteer now is because I left the clinic and want things I wasn't able to before so that I can feel more comfortable with my next job (and maybe I'll be able to get a job at the clinic I am volunteering at!). I can't tell you much about the pay since I am just a college student and I had no experience with animals prior to my job. My suggestion is to start off volunteering or find a job as a vet tech where they can teach you what you need to know and see if you like it. If you want to pursue it as a career, then maybe you can become a certified veterinary technician through a college and you'll probably get paid more since you'd be more qualified.



I am interested in going to vet school, and I personally really loved working as a vet tech. I loved the animals and I loved the medicine part of it. It's a job that made me really happy, and I learned a lot! If you love animals, it's definitely a job to consider. Anyways, good luck! :)





Edit: Reply to Bloody Lady: I got ripped then. I got paid $8.50 an hour, but I wasn't certified (first time working as a vet tech). My cousin got paid $11.50 at the same clinic. He wasn't certified either and it was also his first time working at a clinic. I guess it all depends. I'm sure you get paid more than that if' you're certified. As a tech, I talked to the client's to find out about the dog's history, helped the doctor with anything he needed in the back, gave vaccines, did blood work, stool samples (and read them under a microscope... that's fun!), anal glands, restraining/holding the pet, prepare meds, take x-rays, dentals (I thought that was fun) and prepare for and assist with surgeries. Additional duties including taking care of dogs that were boarding, keeping the clinic clean and organized, and basic grooming. Usually a receptionist will take care of filing and paper work.



I worked at a small clinic. At a larger clinic, they might have different vet techs specializing in different areas. I just applied at a vet's office that has 4 types of technicians (they're all cross-trained though). They have a "room technician" (talking to the client and finding out the pet's medical history and reason for the visit), a "lab technician" who'll run any lab work that needs to be done (and works with the microscopes and cool little machines), a "surgery technician" who will assist the doctor with surgeries and administer anesthesia and any pre-op medication, and the typical technician that helps the doctor out with everything in the back (including vaccines, take bloodwork, hold the pet, clean ears, apply/administer medication, and assist the doctor during the exam). I personally liked doing everything! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment